Sunday, January 10, 2010

Goodbye, Sarah

Being into dolls isn't exactly a new thing for me. This is Sarah, my American Girl Doll that I got in about 4th grade.

Truthfully, she's the first big thing I have ever saved up for in my life. It's strange to realize you're about to give up the first Big Thing that you've ever gotten. I had her and I loved her, like any young girl would, but in retrospect I have a few reasons for being happy to see her go. Looking back I can see that I got her mostly to play with my best friend at the time, who, in that hindsight, wasn't such great of a friend at all. Being able to look at her and realize that, wait, those feelings of being excluded and upset were perfectly valid, makes them run a little afresh. Not a pleasant feeling.

But at the same time, it's giving up a major figure of my childhood...

...Yet I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'm not giving up on the hobby. My love for the hobby is very much renewed. I'm planning, if there's enough money, to perhaps save up for a digital SLR of my own so I can continue providing nice photographs, if not a lovely 60 cm satyr doll.

So goodbye, Sarah. It's hard to see you go, but you need to find a happier home.

No comments:

Post a Comment