Friday, December 18, 2009

Evil Plans and Rudimentary Sewing


Have I mentioned that I love fabric remnants? I can't even sew very well, but I love just pawing through the remnant bin. Now I can actually pretend to buy things for actual projects, though...
Not pictured, but my sister got me a bunch of things for my birthday - nice white silk, shimmery things, and some lovely teal silky stuff. But let's face it, silk's not what you want to learn with. I am a complete sewing dunce. So, why I got some easy-to-deal-with flannels, cottons, and some plain white muslin.
Also over to the side there is a Fashionista Barbie - another Black Friday steal, for half off. I mainly got her for her clothing/accessories. But eventually I may repaint her face. I like acrylic eyes a lot better, but she may be a handy practice doll. I'd like to glaze her brown skin with just a slight reddish overtone so she can read as more middle-eastern than African-American, and then she can be a doll of one of my RP characters.

I don't have pictures yet, but I've fallen in love with Juku Couture dolls... because they were on sale at Target, and they're a little smaller compared to Annabel instead of a little larger, like the Barbies. Pictures will come soon I hope. The clothes just baaaaaaarely fit Annabel but the regular dolls are something I want to repaint. They have inset acrylic eyes, and I just like those so much better than painted-on.


So, I stole Fashionista Barbie's clothes and gave them to Annabel. The top was a little deeply cut so I cluged together something. It's tacky glue, not sewing, but I made a little camisole-cut thing. Not perfect, but it looks better I think. I'm also pretty pleased with her little barrettes. :)


The flannel and fleece remnants I got turned into this. Again - very crude, not so much sewing, but it's a little bed for her. It's really just a block of wood for a 'mattress', with the brown fleece over it.


The flannel got much the same treatment because I was in a rush, so the hemming job was done by tacky glue. I did actually sew the pillows. You thought I was kidding when I said I was a bad sewer, didn't you? I'm not at all, ahaha. Additionally we had no fluffy stuffing, just quilt batting, so they're stuffed with ripped-up cotton balls. ...Yyeeeeaaah.

I like the little throw pillow though, with its button. I'm glad I have more of those. :) I'll be sewing more soon I think, now that I'm cooped up for awhile recovering from surgery.


There's Annabel, showing off her new bed. I haven't trimmed things up yet, but it does the job well enough for right now. You can see her outfit as well - again, not the best, but it'll do. I admit I got it mostly for the necklace, belt, and boots! I think the boots are super, super cute.


A better picture of Annabel in that outfit.

Full little list of projects for Christmas break...
  • Repaint Annabel's face.
  • Repaint Juku Couture doll face(s).
  • Completely take apart the practice Juku Couture doll.
  • Repaint practice JC doll?
    I am not sure with what - I would like to do a full-body paint.
    I am pondering, given further things, that I might just do a sithy doll.
    Kinda based on Ventress, but with more hair perhaps...
  • Sew new pillows for bed - ones with actual fluff!
  • Sew comforter for bed?
    I might ask my sister to sew me a little quilt for her bed.
  • Sew a little cape for Annabel, probably out of the white silky stuff.
  • Sew a little set of greco-roman fashions, especially a chiton and a stola.
  • Sew/make/try to adapt a foam Stormtrooper armor pattern.
  • Make/etc a pattern for Sith troopers? (If Stormtrooper armor goes well.)
    I'm thinking that I can use the 'wrong side' of cut up coca-cola bottles.
    My sister just took jewelry-making and metalsmithing so she can teach me how to make jumprings to put things together.
  • Maybe make a lightsaber - I am thinking some very fine glitter and color in epoxy and filling up a very thin little plastic tube, so it can be translucent but still hard enough, then use it to attach some fasteners for the hilt. Basically, a trip to Lowe's!
My other project is going to be packing away my American Girl Doll to be sold on eBay. Sarah has been languishing in the bottom of my closet. So far I've reconditioned her hair and scrubbed her down thoroughly but I'd still only consider her in Good condition. I would love to work on the larger canvas of an American Girl Doll face, but I don't really see a market for those. I am shamelessly saving her favourite dress, though. I would love to buy a 1/3 BJD someday.

It's an interesting situation. On one hand Sarah is so full of memories. But on the other, not all of them are especially happy now. I lost touch with the friend I played American Girl Dolls with pretty firmly, and I'm not really begging to find her again. So, I think it's best for her to go to another home - one where she will be played with. Kind of a bittersweet parting, but it'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment