Thursday, December 31, 2009

Making the Red Velvet Ruffledress


How I Made The Red Velvet Ruffledress

Note: This is not going to be any spectacular sewing. Use this as a guide to do what I did, but, y'know, better and more competently.


First start off with a top made from a sock, following the tutorial I posted earlier. For a more fitted top, I used the middle part (from heel-toe) of a baby sock.


Get some ribbon that you'd like to use for the main part of the skirt. Fray Check is pretty much your best friend. Cut the edges a little slanted to better accommodate a small flare in the back.


Pin it on to the top just to double-check you like how it looks. Leave a small gap in the back - we'll deal with that later. :) After you spend a moment pining for the Re-Ment doll dress form, get your thread and needle...


Of course you probably will want to choose thread that matches a little better, but I had white handy so I used white. Stitch the piece of ribbon on.

Go get some plain white (or otherwise matching) cloth, and cut it out into kind of a pentagon. You can lob off the top if it if it'll make it easier, but basically you're aiming to fit it into that gap you left.

Smarter people would, perhaps, sew this on to the ribbon first, then sew the whole thing onto the dress top. We are not those people.

Pin that sucker in thar and sew away.
...This picture is large because I just like it, a lot, irrationally so.

Ta da! Now we have a base to sew the ruffles onto. Or, if you make your stitches neater, you can just make a dress that has a white open bit.
I think this is a good time to mention that I have the sewing skills of a box of weasels on methamphetamines, so if I can do it, by golly, you can too.

Right, now that there's a place to sew them on to easily, make yourself some ruffles. ...Or just trim off some lace. Honestly I don't sew ruffles well, so you may be better off doing the lace thing. But if you can do ruffles - do ruffles! And tack them on there!

Ta da! There you go, a rufflebutt dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment